This stunning elephant holds the artist’s vision in beads. The sacred Huichol symbols on the elephant are:
- Scorpion, which are the protectors of the peyote. See the small white scorpion on the right rear foot.
- Deer, the deer spirit guide, Kauyumari, leads the shamans on their visionary pathways and teaches them how to gain their special knowledge. See the deer head on the front of the curled up trunk and also on the back of the right front leg.
- Peyote, called ‘jicuri’, is used in ceremonies as sacred medicine, allowing connection with the spirit world, deities and ancestors. See the circular peyote all over the elephant and the large red and blue one on the right side.
- Sun, on the left rear leg. The sun gives all living things power and growth.
- God’s Eye represents the watchful protection of God and it points to the four cardinal directions. See it on the stomach on the right.
- The ceremonial candle symbolizes the gift of light from the Sun and Fire Gods. See it on the front right leg.
Information on the artists and the fair trade relationship is included with the piece.
The elephant is 6 inches in length and 4 inches high and 2 1/2 inches wide. Gold accent beads are tastefully used across the elephant’s body. This is a ceramic elephant, not a carving. For anyone who collects elephant art, this piece is stunning!
Seen in real life, this piece is imbued with the Huichol connection to the spirit world.